education.Surfrider.eu

Maritime transport

With the failure of international initiatives to uphold and enforce maritime law, Surfrider will put in place a research program for pollution prevention.

90% of the transport of goods is via maritime shipping. The exponential development of this sector of activity has caused a serious pollution problem.

This assessment is even worse when we focus specifically on oil pollution. 95% of oil spilled in breach of international legislation is intentional. The remaining 5% have origins in tidal oil slicks which, as far as they are concerned, are accidental.

As well as condemning these acts of negligence, Surfrider Foundation Europe finds the lack of involvement from the international community unacceptable.

The nuisance and contamination generated by maritime transport is found on our coasts and our beaches: oil, floating waste, invasive species… we are all affected!